- Why don't schools teach us to form our... latest post by Inkingi | 35 responses
- What is the most meaningful sentence y... latest post by MicrowaveMetal | 125 responses
- Do you still believe in the things you... latest post by scathey1 | 12 responses
- Is organized religion the root of all ... latest post by ukdirector | 217 responses
- Will human beings really ever understa... latest post by ukdirector | 59 responses
Profile of Anuradha Mittal
Anuradha Mittal, a native of India, she is an internationally renowned expert on trade, development, human rights, democracy and agriculture issues. She is the founder and director of a policy think tank, The Oakland Institute, dedicated to creating a space for public participation and democratic debate on key social, economic, environmental and foreign policy issues that affect our lives. Building on the identification of human rights as the foundation of global democracy, The Oakland Institute uses the rights-based approach to reframe the public debate and build an agenda for common action.
A much sought after speaker, Mittal has given several hundred keynote addresses including invitational events from governments and universities, and has appeared on television and radio shows around the world. She is an author and editor and has contributed articles in numerous books including America Needs Human Rights, The Future in the Balance: Essays on Globalization and Resistance, Voices From the South: Third World Speaks Out Against Genetic Engineering, Shafted: Free Trade Agreements and America's Working Poor, Views From the South: Effects of Globalization and the WTO on Third World Countries and 10 Reasons to Abolish the IMf and World Bank. Prior to starting The Oakland Institute, she spent nearly a decade at Food First/Institute for Food and Development Policy.